11 July 2008

So THIS is Acting

I've been taking an acting class for the past two months. I've had acting classes before. They focused on technique and approach, breaking down the script, and discovering the layers of your character. Sure they covered bringing emotion to your character, but none ever really pushed me to be emotional. As many of you know, I'm not an outwardly emotional person. Like everyone else, I'll put up a bullshit front to cover the sensitive areas in my life, and deal or not deal with my problems/emotions/issues/whatever behind closed doors. This class is pushing me to break down those walls, and I've finally had a break through.

Last night, for the first time ever, I truly acted. It was intense, unsettling, horrible because of the topic I was dealing with, and amazing. To be so open and raw in front of others goes against every grain in my body. I didn't do it well. I fought it the entire time. But it was more than I've ever been able to do before. It was a huge step for me. That said, who knows if in the end I'll even like acting because of this, but I think I can get comfortable with it. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Check it out!
EverydayDifferent.com - My Portfolio Website
POEIN - Literary & Artistic Blog

No comments: