30 September 2008

Jobbed!

It's official, I have employment. Meet Storyopolis, a high end children's bookstore and art gallery. Located on Venture Boulevard in Sherman Oaks (that's in the Valley), it's the perfect blend for me. From edgy, original children's art to limited Dr. Seuss lithographs and an overall focus on well-written and well-illustrated books for kids, I fit right in. Okay, so maybe the kids factor doesn't fit me to a "T" but the bookstore element does. I'm truly enjoying myself. At the moment, I work on the retail end of things helping to build book gift baskets and learn the store's inventory, authors and illustrators. In the future though, I'll be doing more outreach and heavy marketing. What I have to look forward to is exciting to me. I like the challenge of bringing in new customers and accounts and with it the possibility of a raise.

Speaking of raise, I could use one right now. The job doesn't pay nearly enough for me to make ends meet. I have to get a second job this month. But the fact that the store is so closely connected to key players in the entertainment industry is what cinched the deal for me. I'll be handling orders and requests from heads of talent and music agencies, from friends of the stars and from stars themselves. It's a huge networking opportunity for me. In the meantime, I'm going to try to pick up some freelance writing jobs and build my portfolio. If that doesn't work, then barista or waitress will I be.

One other bonus is that because they know this job doesn't pay well, the owners (a cute mom and pop team) give me flexibility to go audition. I've had a handful in the past month but no hits yet. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Check it out!
EverydayDifferent.com - My Portfolio Website
POEIN - Literary & Artistic Blog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Consider my fingers perpetually crossed! Well until your rich and famous, that is, then your on your own. ;)