31 March 2009

Update on the Go

Hey all. It's been a crazy couple of weeks. The steady job hunt still continues, but I may not have to do it after all. It just depends on how some of my entrepreneurial endeavors work out. What endeavors you say? Well let me tell you!

I've started doing background work (extras) in order to gain onset experience, watch the pros at work, and learn how this "Biz" is put together. It's not hard, just long hours and really low wages. The good thing is I can work almost indefinitely because there's always something out there. I say that now because it's spring and this is pilot season. Let me requalify that statement, there's always something out there during spring. In the past two weeks I've worked on a TV movie that Hallmark is producing for the SciFi channel called Mega Storm, a Toyota commercial, been a party guest on Desperate Housewives (check out episode 521: Bargaining) and on HBO's pilot episode of Hung starring Anne Heche. I was also a featured theatrical statue/artist on CSI NY opening the "Grounds for Deception" episode. Tonight I get to work on the set of Eastwick as a town's person. Background work isn't well-respected in the industry, and it's certainly not where I want to stay but I hope it can help me to build connections and learn a little.

Also! I just became an Independent Associate for Prepaid Legal Services. I'm super excited about it. I think it's a great service and look forward to bringing it to others. Plus, the market's completely open which means that there's real opportunity to grow a strong business where I make my own rules. You guys know me. Being my own boss may be just the thing I need. Once I get my cards and site set up I'll let you know more about it.

Oh, and today I discovered the webcam on my computer. Don't worry, I'm not going to start video blogging. God knows I don't need to fulfill my need for screen time by torturing all of you with off topic rambles and rants. I just thought it was cool. The camera is horrible and really does add ten pounds. Amazing what limitations a lense actually has.

So if I haven't returned your phone calls or emails lately, that's pretty much why. On top of the odd background hours, trying to get my new business going, and job hunting, I have also been catering a little. It was greeting at the Nickelodeon's Kid Choice Awards at the Casa del Mar last week. Beautiful hotel! I can't wait til I make enough to spend an evening in one of their rooms. They start at $1,100 a night! Wow.

Hugs to all. More later.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I think the background work is genius. The fact that you can literally observe the industry as a fly on the wall from the inside and see what you are getting into has to make up somewhat for the lack in pay. That's quite a firsthand education and if you're covering the bills at the end of the day then sounds kind of interesting getting to visit set after set rather than coming to the same old boring office everyday. I look forward to hearing more about your Legal business. Sure sounds like an interesting service.