17 December 2008

The Subconscious Mind

During the rehearsal process and performances for my show, I didn't have time for anything other than eating, sleeping, working and dancing. However, I did spend a good amount of time thinking about writing. Now I have plenty of time, though most of it so far has been catching up on laundry, grocery shopping, etc....but I digress.

As I implied earlier, I've been wanting to do more writing and now I have the time. I have decided what direction I want to take with most of my poetry, and I'm still trying to hash out short stories and novel ideas. Get it? Novel ideas? Haha. Alright, it wasn't funny. Anyway, the past few nights I've been having amazing dreams, and I do mean amazing. They're the full color adventurous kind where you feel more like you're watching TV than participating. At times, I'll even catch myself thinking "Wow, that's so cool!" Well these past few nights, I've also been thinking "Wow, these would make great children's stories." And so, I've made it a point to remember what I've been dreaming.

Usually, and most people can do this, when you tell yourself you're going to remember a dream, you do. I did this with these dreams.....and nothing. Nothing! I wake up expecting to be able to write down my adventures and the moment I open my eyes and allow the conscious mind to take over they disappear. I've even gone so far as putting a writing tablet and pencil in my hand and going back to sleep at least halfway. Then I try to waken ever so slowly and write down whatever I remember. Well, it hasn't worked. These dreams just don't want to be remembered. I can vaguely recall that they're adventure stories taking place on the beach, in the desert, and in a space station of sorts. I also know that all of the characters are animals acting the way humans would but as animals. I remember laughing and being scared and feeling elated when we escaped the bad guys. There's a jeep in there somewhere, banana trees and a lion. But the rest of it, for all I tried, is a vague, hazy subconscious echo that's not ready to be hatched.

Has any other writer out there who's reading this, experienced this phenomenon? What weird twisted version of writer's block is this?



Check it out!
EverydayDifferent.com - My Portfolio Website
POEIN - Literary & Artistic Blog

1 comment:

Taryn G. said...

What works for me is to do some gentle deep breathing before I go to sleep and meditate on "ME NOW"...cause I personally tend to focus on everything else around me too much. The "Me Now" thing is to help you to focus your energy on your own energy and path.

The keeping a notebook by the bedside is a good thing too...be gentle with yourself as you try to remember all you experience in your altered state of dreaming...just relax and write it down...don't fret.

My 2 cents.
Love T. xo