So a parent comes into the store seeking gender neutral books about activities and sports for her kids. Going through the typical list, I suggest Curious George at the Baseball Game, Spot Goes to the Park, The Berenstein Bears Get Their Kicks, and so on. One of the books I recommed is by David Shannon. He writes and illustrates these wonderful stories about Daniel and Alice. One of his recent books, though, is about neither. So here's how the conversation goes:
"So do you know David Shannon's books, Oh Daniel or Alice the Fairy? If you liked those, you would like Dike on a Buck." (stunned pause)
"Excuse me?!"
(stammering) "Pardon me, Buck on a Dike. I mean Duck on a Bike! You would really like Duck on a Bike. It's about...."
Spoonerisms....typically harmless, in this case lethal. Fortunately I rushed through the explanation of the story's plot and showed the parent a few more books. In the end it worked out okay, but those were a few VERY awkward moments. Oh what will tomorrow bring?
Check it out!
EverydayDifferent.com - My Portfolio Website
POEIN - Literary & Artistic Blog
2 comments:
Oy! Nice recovery! :)
LOL! How horrible! At least your friends can get a good chuckle, I needed that! Thanks for sharing. :)
Post a Comment