Day 1: Vancouver, WA (I don't have any photos from this day. Just made a point of getting on the road and then spent the evening with my dad. It was great, and I wish I had taken a photo of us.)
Day 2: Monmouth, OR (South of Salem by 20 minutes, I stopped in to see my friend Sam. This is his daughter Lily)
Newport, Oregon (There are two little blips on the huge boulder in the middle. It's a couple people walking down on the rocks.)
Oregon Dunes Recreational Park (Oregon has the largest expanse of coastal sand dunes in the U.S. The highway snuggles up to the edge of the dunes. While they have forest growing on part of them, they're still very sandy.)
Port Orsford, OR
Love the Name!
Cool Rocks (This was still in Oregon. I tried to catch the sunset, but a high fog rolled in and blocked anything decent. It ended up being a grayish, hazy evening.)
Day 3: Crescent City, CA (Beginning to see change in the coast from sandy to rocky beaches.)
Redwood National Forest (This is the Giant Tree, the tree with the largest identified girth. This part of the forest is old growth and has never been forested.)
Highway 1 (This is the first, northernmost view of the California coastline from Hwy 1. The speed limit is around 50-55, but the road winds so much you're usually going 20-25 mph. It took me nine hours from this location to get to a B&B 45 minutes north of San Francisco. On highways I-5 or 101, the drive would be 3-4 hours.)
Coastal flower (Just thought it was a cool pic.)
Road trips alone are fun, but not as fun as with company. This was just a stretch break.
Sandbar Seals
Is it Wisconsin? (Hwy 1 cuts inland as it approaches San Francisco. The area is full of cattle ranches and dairy farms. I tried to make it back to the coast by sunset, but was too far away. It was a beautiful evening. This area is very green.)
Tikis in my B&B room. (The Redwood Haus is a fantastic little B&B in Stinson Beach, CA. It's kitsche and quaint with shared bathrooms, good food, and unbelievable prices. I recommend it highly.)
Day 4: Sunrise on the Coast (A verifiable jungle.)
I don't have any other photos from Day 4. It was a Saturday morning and I was trying to make it down to Los Angeles to celebrate my friend Don's 30th birthday. It was a long but swift drive. Here are a couple photos from my place:
Community Garden on My Corner (Plots are opening up this October, I'm hoping to get one so I can grow my own vegetables and fresh flowers.)
Awesome Flowering Trees (My building is the gray thing behind the tree. It has a small pool and is stylish circa 1950. Not so stylish anymore. Affordable, though. Very affordable.)
Well, there you have it. Hope you enjoyed the trip. May this second month and upcoming summer be as fruitful as the first.
3 comments:
Hi Paige! Looks like it was a great trip. I always imagined it was going to be, but it's nice to see some of it. Hope your second month treats you well!
Good luck on month two!
Welcome to the hood! :)
Post a Comment